Pages

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

A big update.

I spent a couple of months basically not doing ANYTHING to either car.  I was simply driving Betty around, and my maroon 245 sat over at my parents place so long you can see it in the backyard in Google Maps.  Whoops.

The weather kindof turned bad, and I realized that if it was sitting outside I'd NEVER get around to working on it, so during a break in the weather a couple of weeks ago I cleaned out the garage a bit and pushed Roon (new name, what do you think?) inside so I could actually DO something eventually.

Since then, I've gotten quite a bit of work done, so at least my plan is coming together somewhat.  I finally started wiring up the MegaSquirt, and figured out a few things I did wrong with the alarm/keyless entry, cleaned up and painted a few odds and ends, and test-fitted a '93 850 front spoiler.  I'll include a few pics here, but for the rest hit up my flickr set for this project.

In other volvo-related news, Betty needs a tranny flush and a new speedo cable - and while I have the tranny fluid out due to the cable replacement, I might as well replace the pan gasket and do an accumulator mod...but honestly I don't know if I want to put that much work into the stupid automatic.  Maybe, but... I don't know.  I guess if I do this work it'll be easier to sell later, but I absolutely LOATHE automatics.  If it were a manual I'd have bought the parts and done the whole shebang by now.

In fact, I'm kindof keeping an eye out for an 850 wagon with a manual transmission.  Specifically, a '95 due to the fact that they weren't OBD compliant, so I can pull the computers and MegaSquirt/Turbo it without worrying about DEQ.  But that would be something to do AFTER I get Roon done and the GF's 850 fixed.  Which, will have to be soon since it has to do the DEQ thing before the end of the month and it still has a Cyl1 misfire (possibly burnt valve).  I may be able to clear the codes immediately prior to hitting DEQ so that I can fix it on my own timeline, but that may be iffy due to how quickly the code pops up after clearing.  We'll see if that's possible.

Hopefully I'll update more often now that I'm actually working on things. :D

0 comments: