Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Bah, humbug!

Figured out today that Yellow Box, does, in fact, need a new ECU.  Apparently the fuel circuit has a tendency to blow up, especially if you aren't extraordinarily careful how you unplug the ECU.  My bad.

So I posted about needing a new ECU, then went to go work on Roon.  I got the exhaust manifold bolted up, with new studs on the T3 flange, fixed a bent stud on the turbo wastegate, and at some point decided to swap in the walbro 255lph fuel pump.  That was probably the worst idea I'd had all day.  I got the old pump out of the tank okay, and attached the walbro to the brackets all nice, but the sock and isolator on the bottom of the pump weren't staying on very well.  Anyone who has done this job knows that it takes some contorting of the pump assembly to get it back into the car, so the fact that those were kinda loose needed to be rectified.  I attempted to glue the isolator down (it goes over the sock) but I was impatient and didn't let it set long enough, so my first attempt ended with both the sock and isolator in the bottom of the tank.  After fishing those out, I decided a zip-tie lengthwise around the pump would hold things together a little better.  Well, it did...but while pushing the assembly down into the tank the fuel level sender ball popped off into the tank.

I eventually got the ball back, and tried again.  THIS time the isolator and sock came off again, only the sock didn't fall into the swirl tank area, but rather decided to float (thank god for that) off into the recesses of the tank.  I FINALLY got the fuel swished around enough (after about a half-hour or so) to bring the sock back to where I could see it - and thus grab it with my improvised tongs.  At that point I decided the isolator was the root of all evil, and tossed it aside.  I got the resulting assembly into the tank without fuss and called it a night.

I tell you though, I was ->THIS<- close to lighting a flare and tossing it into the tank a couple of times.  Now I've got to delete the main pump, replace the filter and the fuel system will be done.  It's gonna be fun to get this car complete and tuned.  I'm hoping for an honest 300hp/tq, but I'll have to be careful in 3rd gear else I'll have a transmission swap to do (and I have a stronger spare in the garage!)

0 comments: